Once again, I'm behind

Okay, so I'm not very good at this blogging thing. I must admit, it was a lot easier to keep updated when I was on a computer 8 hours a day and was trying to kill time at work. Now that I'm at home almost every day I get bored with the internet and find it difficult to make myself log on and write.
But enough reasons why I am behind... I have got to document this past week. It was definitely the hardest part of my pregnancy so far but I suppose it has just been too easy until this point.
Monday morning (8/3) around 8:30 a.m. my back started hurting right underneath my ribs. I had been experiencing some lower back pain due to the baby being so low, but I didn't realize how severe this pain was until about 2 hours later - after trying every position possible to get comfortable. The pain was relentless and when it brought me to the point of tears I knew it was more than just a pregnancy ache. After trying my clinic and getting a hold of no one, I contacted the hospital and they advised me to come to the E.R. because they thought it was a UTI. Turns out I had a lot of blood in my urine which led them to believe I was dealing with a kidney stone. They were right... After staying in the hospital for a few hours hooked up to an iv to rehydrate me and to slow down some contractions I was having, they sent me home with a prescription of pain meds and told me to force fluids.
Tuesday went by without too much pain thanks to the Tylox, but when Wednesday rolled around and I was down to 6 pills and still wasn't better I went to the clinic for a different prescription because the Tylox was making me nauseous. Unfortunately the prescription they gave me as a replacement did very little for my pain, so we had to go back on Thursday. At that point, they decided it would be best if I went to the hospital to get the kidney stone taken care of once and for all.
Once at the hospital, they took me to the x-ray room to try to get a look at my kidneys but could not get a clear picture so the next day they did an ultrasound. Sure enough there was a stone in there, but it was showing no signs of passing. A urologist suggested that I have surgery to get a kidney stent put in to help it pass. So, on Saturday morning I was taken into surgery -my first one ever - and luckily during the procedure the doctor was able to extract the kidney stone as well. I didn't even have to pass it! However, he left the stent in because they wanted to prevent any damage that might occur should another one appear during my pregnancy considering the tube from the kidney was swollen to the size of a pinky finger. (It's supposed to be the size of a piece of spaghetti). But let me tell you I would much rather deal with a stent than a kidney stone again. And the good news is I will get to take it out a couple weeks after the baby is born, which hopefully isn't too much longer.
So there you have it... my wonderful week with a kidney stone. But on the bright side, I'm told labor will be a breeze after that...

0 comments:

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Distributed by Blogger Templates Blog created by Deluxe Templates